The Mother of the Bride
The mother of the bride plays an important role since she is the person who must attend to the bride’s wishes and ideas for the wedding (if only it was that easy).
Some of the primary responsibilities of the mother of the bride are as follows:
- Assist the bride while she shops for her dream wedding gown. Keep in mind that this is her special day, if she finds a gown that melts her heart, be supportive despite your own opinions!
- Help the couple organize a budget for the wedding. Any advice is good advice.Assist in the planning of the guest list, while considering the wishes of the bride and groom. Order and organize the guest invitations.
- Make arrangements for the out-of-town guests who are a part of the bride’s family.
- The mother of the bride needs a gown, too! During your search for your own attire, consider the mother of the groom. Give her a call and update her on the colors you’ll be wearing so that you both may compliment each other.
- Keep up to date on the instructions for the actual ceremony, such as seating and the receiving line.
- If applicable, the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom may have a part in lighting the family candle.
- Since the mother of the bride is such an important person throughout the wedding, it may be ideal to ask someone for help. Whether it be a professional or even someone who isn’t in the wedding, it is good to have someone assist in all of the wedding planning.
- Stay connected with the Maid of Honor to avoid crossing plans/arrangements.
The Mother of the Groom
Even though it may seem like the mother of the bride takes all control of the wedding, the mother of the groom has important responsibilities, too!
- Once you hear of the wedding announcement, make sure (if you have not already done so) to introduce you (and your husband) to the bride’s parent(s). Even scheduling a night out with the bride’s parents to discuss the wedding plans or to celebrate your daughter/son’s new engagement is a nice way of getting to know each other.
- Contribute to the guest list planning. Provide the mother of the bride with a list of family members from the groom’s family who should be invited to the wedding.
- Make arrangements for any out-of-town guests coming from the groom’s family.
- It is the duty of the groom’s family to organize and host the rehearsal dinner. Make sure that all who are involved in the ceremony are invited to the dinner.
- Help organize plans for a photographer for the wedding. This is one day that everyone, especially the couple, would want documented!
- During the reception, it is the mother of the groom’s duty to introduce all friends and family to the friends and family of the bride.
For more information of the duties of the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom, visit www.ourmarriage.com.